Sunday, May 11, 2014

Dirty Rotten Sinner

One of my children desperately needs to learn to problem solve.  So I thought I would try the problem solving approach that I'm teaching her to my parenting dilemma.  You cannot attempt to solve a problem in panic mode so before you panic (or shortly after since we're still practicing) break the problem into small sections.  First, what do you KNOW? 

I started thinking "what does the Bible say about my child?"  The first thing that came to mind was "There is none righteousness, no, not one." (Romans 3:10)  It's easy to believe that teenager is a sinner;  BUT, WAIT, surely that precious newborn isn't a "dirty rotten sinner!!!" Yep.  We are all born with a sin nature.   So how does this apply to parenting?   Well, my first and most important goal as a parent should be to lead my child to a saving knowledge of Christ.  Does this mean I scare them with stories of hell and berate them until they come to know Him?  No, but I should be sharing my love for Christ and the wonderful story of His redemption plan for them.  As they ask questions, I should be ready with answers from the Scriptures (1 Peter 1:15) .  As they get older and mentally more mature, a more aggressive approach toward soul-winning should be used, until they come to know Christ. After all you cannot have successful parenting without this initial step.  A sinner can do nothing but sin.

What does this look like every day?  I share God's love and they start to pick up on that (songs like Jesus Loves Me, ABC verses from BMA or Billy Graham Association).  I understand they are sinners; they need and Savior; and they will make sinful choices.  I began to teach them to make those wise choices as they mature enough to make them.  I share my belief that the only TRUTH is found in the WORD OF GOD.  I don't give them any other option.  As they get older, they may come to me with a question, such as, "why not this religion?" or "why believe the Bible?" and I can be ready with an answer. 

In closing, I just want to share one of the ways I have shared Christ with my children.  It's called a wordless book.  You can make pages out of construction paper or felt.  Size is not important, but at a young age, they can learn the colors and what they mean.

Black - My heart is black with sin. Rom. 3:23 "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. (KJV)
Red - Jesus blood shed on the cross can take away my sin.  1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."(KJV)
White - Jesus will wash my heart clean from sin. Ps. 51:7 "wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." (KJV)
Yellow - Believe on Jesus and receive eternal life.  John14:2 "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." (KJV)
Green - Grow in the knowledge of the LORD. 2 Peter 3:18" But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." (KJV) (**)

(The child may not actually be ready to accept Christ.  Head knowledge and heart knowledge are two different things.  And a word of caution, if a young child makes a decision for Christ but then as an older child comes to you with doubts, don't make it trivial or be insistent that they are already saved.   They may not have understood as a child and are under conviction and truly need to be saved.  Pray for wisdom and discernment.  God will give it.  He has promised in James 1:5.)

**wordless book instructions borrowed with modifications from www.teenmissions.org**

No comments:

Post a Comment