Monday, May 26, 2014

It's the custom. . .

My kids and I are reading The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. (I know what you are going to say;  "But you said all we need is the Bible."  Bear with me for a moment for my illustration.)  In the first few chapters, Mary Lennox (the main character) repeats a phrase to justify her actions.   She says, "It was the custom."  Too often I think we use that to justify our beliefs.   "Just because", or "because I said so", or "because that makes Jesus happy", or "because the Bible says so."   In remembering Deuteronomy's challenge to teach continually it is important to remember to back up our instruction with age appropriate reasons from Scripture.  "Why should I obey my parents?" Ephesians 6:1. "Why should I confess my sins?" I John 1:9. "Why should I do my best?" I Corinthians 10:31.  I'm searching myself to find the wisdom that is from God, found in His letter to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment